Pages

Saturday, December 4

Lost in Space

So, I started my morning with animating and watching Stranded. Have I mentioned how much I love independent films? Absolutely LOVE them. I feel they have more heart and passion than any big budget film out today. Granted, some of the acting is sub-par/barely sufficient, but as long as you have an active imagination that hasn't been completely beat into submission by our over-stimulating entertainment culture then you can get past that. However, if you've completely lost your imagination and now require the assistance of laugh-track crutches or 3d glasses in order to make it through a movie then don't bother. Independent cinema is not for you. Stick to feeding the economy your "hard-earned" money so they can continue to spoon-feed you the same crap you regurgitate every time you talk to your "friends".

*clears throat, and adjusts my tie*

Moving on...

As I mentioned I watched Stranded this morning, and I liked it. If I had to be a rating asshole I'd give it 4 out of 5 thumbs out of my butt. Granted, some of the acting wasn't great. Watch out for Danel "Wa-Ter" Aser. However, this movie had a lot of heart and passion, and reminded me of what Defying Gravity could have been if it had better writers, and hadn't been canceled. Vincent Gallo is also in this, and you know what that means. That's right, he certainly did try to have sex in space. He certainly did.

So, while I watched this movie it made me think of my favorite space films of all time. Now, before I spit out this list I'm going to prefix my conditions for this list.
  • said film must take place in OUR universe. Which means no Star Wars or Star Trek
  • said film must be fairly plausible, however like most sci-fi it's going to tap on some boundaries
  • said film must take place in space
  • that's about it
Which means yes, I did exclude Star Wars, Star Trek, and The Fifth Element from this list. I also excluded Spaceballs, even though I love that film with a thousand raging boners.


So, here's my list in order of year released.


2001: A Space Odyssey
(1968)
dir. Stanely Kubrick

Solaris
(1972)
dir. Andrey Tarkovskiy

Alien
(1979)
dir. Ridley Scott

Stranded
(2001)
dir. Maria Lidon a.k.a. Luna

Sunshine
(2007)
dir. Danny Boyle

Moon
(2009)
dir. Duncan Jones


No comments: