Pages

Thursday, November 2

It's A Very Very... Gears Of War

Next tuesday two games I'm highly anticiapting come out, Guitar Hero 2 and Gears of War. I've already talked about GH2. Today I'm hear to talk about Gears of War. GoW is being released for the Xbox 360, and my roommate (The Gabe) is fortunate enough to have one, AND have GoW reserved.

The game is an over the shoulder shooter spawned from the Unreal brainchild, Cliffy Bleszinski, or Cliffy B to his friends and fans. It looks stunning as far as graphics go. It's main appeal is going to be the over-the-net co-op gameplay throughout the entire game. You'll be able to link up with someone else who has the game and play through entire game with them.

It's set in a post-apocalyptic world in which "they" (consisting of undead hordes and giant creepy crawlers) have ascended to the surface and destroyed everything. It's dark. It's gloomy. You kill things. You survive. That's about it. However, this game looks great, and promises to focus more on "pop-and-stop" gameplay as opposed to "run-and-gun" gameplay. You'll be running for cover, shooting, ducking, shooting, ducking, shooting, running for more cover, and so on as opposed to running, shooting, running, shooting, running and shooting, shooting and running.

I'm truly looking forward to the atmosphere, and lived-in world that this game will bring to the player. I'm also anticipating and gripping plot. If not, then it could all be for lost.

However, this amazing trailer, which does a great job of utilizing Gary Jules' Tears for Cover of Mad World is simply that... amazing. It adds a nice touch of artistic dichotomy to game advertising that hasn't been scene a lot. It's almost like a movie teaser than a game trailer. The verse used from the song "the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had" foreshadows the danger presented in the game. The violence and horror coupled with the soothing music creates a terrorfying effect which sends shivers up your spine and forces you to sympathize with the character and his unescapable plight.

It also brings back fond memories of Donnie Darko.

I'm tired. Enough of my talk. Watch it for yourself and tell me what you think.





For extra credit watch the music video for Gary Jules' Mad World cover by Tears for Fears.






More...
Gears of War
CliffyB.com
Gary Jules

2 comments:

Patrick W. Rollens said...

Please, please play Gears of War a lot for me. I can't tell you how awesome it looks...or how much it makes me want to buy a 360. Sigh. And I only JUST got an Xbox.

PS - I received your package last week, thanks a lot friend. It was so awesome. I stayed up late scaring myself silly with Doom 3, and lately I've been munching some brains as Stubbs. Good stuff all around. Tell me, have you ever read any POWERS volumes? If so, which ones? That might be what I start you on next...

3kalb said...

Powers... can't say that I have. I hear The Walking Dead is a great book, and I've been highly anticipating the Halo Graphic Novel and another zombie title. That I can't think of. If you like I can e-mail you a wishlist of comic titles that I'd like to read.

OH! World War Z. That's it. Damn that looks great.

and yes I promise to play lots of Gears of War for you.

p.s. This month's game for you is one of my favorites of all time. It's in the top 5. *giddy with excitement for you*