Pages

Thursday, October 30

Birds & Brooks or How I Learned to Fear and Respect the Army Surplus

Well, today has been a busy one. I've been running around all day yesterday and today getting my costume ready for tomorrow. Oooohs I'm extracited, y'alls! Yesterday I went to the Birds & Brooks Army Surplus store off 6th Street, and boy were they nice. Creepy nice even. As soon as I walked in the tall, skinny, acne ridden register jockey sporting fatigues asked if he could help me. I mentioned that I needed pants. He asked if they were for a costume, and I said yes. He took me over the pants, and then helped me size up. Apparently, in Army the waist for pants is small, medium, and large, and the length is short, medium, and long. I'm a large medium if you're wondering. It's my lingering food baby fat. Then he directed me to the dressing room, and instructed me to try them on before buying. I tried on quite a few different kinds of pants before deciding on a pair of fatigues. While, I was sorting through pants PFC Registerald Jockey walked throughout the store and handed individually wrapped lifesaver mints to everyone. As I mentioned before, creepy nice. As I was there a patron was looking to purchase an AK-47. Oooohh, it looked like fun. You know, interweb, I've never fired a gun, but I have an increasing fetish with them. It may be time to get my FOID and hit up a firing range. When I left, PFC Jockey, told me to have a nice day, of course, and then he said, "we look forward to seeing you again." Then he said, "they always come back." Which was kind of creepy AND funny.

Today, I hit up the Toys 'R Us, and found the perfect gun for the ensemble. I just finished taking it apart for a paint job which I'll do later tonight. There were about 20 baby screws hiding in that damned thing. I blistered my finger getting them out too. Not only were they screwed in, but they were glued on the tips. It's ok though, this costume will be worth all the pain.

That's about it. Today is Costume-Creation-and-Alteration day, or "CC&A Day" because yesterday was Gathering-Materials-for-Costume day, or "GMC Day". I still have quite a bit costume work to do. So, I am off like an Audi jimmy dress on prom day eating cake!

No comments: