Pages

Wednesday, October 18

Now You're Playing... With Power!

Twenty years ago today, Nintendo came onto the scene to popularize home video game consoles.

The home console market was on a downward spiral and copyright infringement was causing Atari, to hire Nintendo of America to "take care of" Donkey Kong rights that Coleco had stepped on, in exchange for distributing their Famicon system. Nintendo of America stepped out of dealings with Atari, and after many revisions, mainly cosmetic in order to make it more appealing to kids, the Famicon system was ready to be introduced the world as the Nintendo Entertainment System.

During the christmas season of 1986, Nintendo of America, offered toystores in New York with an unprecedented offer. In exhange for shelf space in their stores NOA offered to buy back any units that didn't sell. The toystores agreed, and one manager was even quoted saying, "It's your funeral." To everyone's surpise the console sold, and sold, and sold. By the end of the christmas season NOA tallied 90,000+ units sold, and toystores were calling in with requests for more.

That, my children, is how Nintendo (in America) was born. *wipes a tear*


More...
Nintendo Entertainment System 20th Anniversary @ ClassicGaming

3 comments:

Patrick W. Rollens said...

At one point when I was a child, my grandmother wanted to get me a Nintendo. My mom talked her out of it and instead suggested she get me a personal computer. Instead, I received neither. My gift was a GI Joe vehicle...I think it was the Cobra H.I.S.S. tank. Sigh.

I've never owned a Nintendo. That was my one chance, a brush with greatness. Oh to think about what could have been...

3kalb said...

You know owning a Wii will be just as great, if not greater, than owning a regular NES. Just some food for thought.

3kalb said...

Also the Cobra H.I.S.S. tank? That's bad ass. What did H.I.S.S. stand for, or was it just supposed to be cute? Either way I enjoy it almost as much as I enjoy my Teddy B.E.A.R. I got when I was younger.