Pages

Saturday, November 8

Left 4 Kid-Friendly Flix

Sick Status: Still Sick. I'm getting better though. The hourly salt-water gargling is doing miracles. I always hack up something delightful after each wash. Mmmm MMmm.

So, I forgot to post a photo yesterday. Here's one!

Me in my new Member's Only jacket calling the role!

In other news, I tackled an assload of media yesterday. I got down and dirty in the zombocalypse alongside Gabe and Bryan. We ran through the demo for Left 4 Dead a couple times. The demo features two maps from the inner city level. For those of you that don't know each play through is unique. The AI director changes zombie encounters, placement of bosses, music cues, visual cues, and weapon & item placement. So, each time you play through it's different, and it certainly was. You truly have to move and work together in order to survive in this game. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any flaws with the game as of yet. However, keep in mind I have been sick. Oh! I wish there was a way to know what weapon sets your teammates had in order to strategize better. That's it for now.

Other than video games, I went through three great movies. That's right, three! In one day! Oh, it put a grin on my face from sea to shining sea it did. First up was my new Netflix flick, Stay. I wonderfully jarring romp through the cracks that lie between living and dying. This flick also has some great star power behind it with Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and Ryan Gosling. Next I watched the David Mamet flick, Redbelt. A film about testing the limits of staying honorable and the way of the samurai. This film, like most of Mamet's, is pretty great, and doesn't dissapoint. After that Molly came over, and we watched The Last Mimzy, a great children's flick. It beckons me back to my youth of pouring my eyes over such flicks as The Explorers and Inner Space. So, I decided to make a list of kid-friendly movies. There are of course some requirements to be met to be included in this list.

Kid-Friendly Flicks: Rules & Regulations
1. No excessive violence
2. It must inspire individuals to be great in way or another
3. A good moral is a plus, but not always required

Ok, well, here is the list of films I came up with so far. Tell me what you think, and if you have any suggestions to add to it. Oh, I also tried, at best to leave seasonal flicks such as The Santa Clause out of it. Those are put into a seasonal/holiday category in my head.

  1. The Last Mimzy
  2. Secondhand Lions
  3. Jumanji
  4. Zathura
  5. Inner Space
  6. The Explorers
  7. Shrek
  8. Wizard of Oz
  9. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
  10. The Lion King
  11. Finding Nemo
  12. Toy Story
  13. E.T. the Extra-Terrestial
  14. The Last Starfighter
  15. The Neverending Story
  16. Labyrinth
  17. Star Wars
  18. Alice in Wonderland
  19. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
  20. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  21. The Princess Bride
  22. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  23. Horton Hears A Who
  24. Peter Pan
  25. The Incredibles
  26. Iron Giant
  27. Monster House
  28. Monsters Inc.
  29. Spirited Away
  30. The Fox & The Hound
  31. Aladdin
  32. Fern Gully
Well, that's all I got. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list! How about the Rescuers Down Under or Fievel Goes West series?

I recently wrote at my blog about websites for people looking for kid-friendly movies. One of the ones I reviewed was Kids-In-Mind.com. If you ever need a listing of modern movies that are great for kids, that site is an excellent resource.

3kalb said...

Thanks, Aaress. I'll check into it.

Nada Nada said...

DUDE.

I totally forgot.

What about "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"?!?!?!

Animated would be my preference.
But I think that the other one needs a tad more credit than it received.

Nada Nada said...

You totally said no seasonal movies, didn't you?

Whatever.
I stand by my choice.
Dr. Seuss and the Grinch are multi-seasonal institutions.